Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The Tweet That Led To A Blog Post

Earlier today, I noticed that a lot of the actions we take are to make other people happy. A lot of us get good grades to impress our parents. A lot of us wear certain clothes to impress certain people. A lot of us throw away things we believe in to fit in with a particular crowd. We do so much for other people and forget that it's our life, not theirs. I think everyone needs to start doing things that make THEM happy, and make THEM the people they're meant to be. 

I'm currently in the process of applying to a different university. At first, my family wasn't too thrilled about the idea. They thought I was being impulsive and irrational. After talking to them, I was finally able to get through to them (kind of). Although I am not unhappy with my current situation, I do feel like I could be happier somewhere else. I don't feel like this is where I'm supposed to be. I'm a firm believer in the cliché phrase, "Everything happens for a reason," so I know this year is just a part of my life journey. Hopefully next Fall I'm where I'm supposed to be, not where everyone else wants me to be. 

Why did I share that story? It's simple: if I stay here and don't try to do what I think is right, I'll simply be doing that to satisfy everyone else. As I tweeted earlier today, I'm going to start making decisions that make ME happy, not anyone else (Rational decisions, of course. I'm not planning on doing anything crazy or irrational.). 

I think we should all start making decisions with ourselves in mind first. Let's get good grades for our own self satisfaction. Wear whatever makes you feel good, not the person looking at you. Don't throw away your values to fit in with people who you think you belong with. If you have to change who you are, then you aren't swimming towards the right crowd. We need to stop living for others and start living for ourselves. Don't take this as me advising to disregard others' opinions; rather, keep them in mind, and use people's opinions, advice, and suggestions to shape your life in a way that you think will be most beneficial. 

Start tomorrow by doing something good for you and only you. Don't do it for your parents, or your best friend, or your boyfriend. Live your life your way. You only live once (that's the motto, isn't it?), so don't miss out on anything you think will impact your life in a positive way because you were too busy living for someone else's satisfaction. 


Goodnight cyber-world!

NG

No comments:

Post a Comment