Sunday, October 12, 2014

Road Trip Tips

When I got home today, I was so happy to see my room. On Friday, I took a (mini- it only took two hours) road trip to visit some friends in Gainesville. I stayed in my friend's apartment which is really nice and spacious, so I really have no complaints about my sleeping arrangement or living experience for the past few days. Although this weekend was filled with long time friends and endless laughs, I was extremely happy to be home and to be able to rest. This road trip was a short one, but I understand that some road trips take more than two hours. There are a few things I discovered which make these trips go by a little faster. Here are some useful tips to ensure you have a fun, safe road trip no matter where you're headed!

1. Have a good playlist. We all know that point in a road trip where our favorite radio stations start sounding like pure static. Once that happens, have a fun playlist ready on your phone or iPod so you have something to listen to for the rest of your trip. My favorite types of songs to listen to while driving are old songs I grew up listening to, or songs that are fun to sing along to.

2. Make sure you have water and a snack. I don't know about you, but I'm always drinking water. Keep a bottled water and a snack that's easy to eat with you so that you can avoid stopping unless you really need to. It's a waste of time to just stop because you were hungry/thirsty! I tend to bring Brookside chocolate covered pomegranates with me on road trips. Try them! They're a great blend of dark chocolate and fruit flavors.

3. Try to have a friend with you. No one likes to drive alone, especially if your destination is far away. College kids are usually always up for a trip, so just ask around to see who wouldn't mind tagging along! Ask them if they could split gas money with you, every penny counts!

4. Don't text and drive. The highways are a scary place to drive, especially when you're driving fast to try to get to your destination. Avoid causing accidents by not using your cell phone while you're driving. As much as we hear this: It can wait. Make sure your phone volume is loud if you're using it's GPS system so you can have the phone down next to you and you don't have to have it in your hand.

5. Make the best of it! Although a two hour drive really isn't that bad, I can imagine how boring and tiring the longer road trips can get. If you're riding with a friend, take turns driving so you get some time to rest. Have fun, and get to know the person you're riding with if they aren't already your best friend. You never know how much you don't know about a person, and you might as well get to know them during your 6+ hour drive. Who knows, maybe you'll find out really interesting things!

I'm taking another road trip this upcoming Friday, so hopefully these tips make it easier for me. Comment or send me a message if you have any other tips/ideas on how to have the best road trip!

Happy traveling!

NG

No comments:

Post a Comment