Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Embrace Your Inner White Girl

With each passing day, I notice more and more people being engulfed by a modern epidemic (ok, I'm exaggerating a bit) and not doing anything to stop it. What is this epidemic? Basic White Girl Syndrome. I named it myself; clever isn't it? BWGS isn't only for females as the name might suggest. As much as they do not want to admit it, some boys can be classified as basic white girls. This syndrome has taken over boys and girls all over the country. What constitutes a basic white girl? Many different things. If you find yourself fitting into any of these descriptions, congratulations (I think), you're an official Basic White Girl!

First of all, every BWG has an iPhone. How else would we (yes, I have diagnosed myself with the syndrome) be able to document every moment of our lives on Instagram and Twitter? Androids are lame. If it takes you longer to edit/pick a filter for your picture than it took you to actually take your picture, then the syndrome is only getting worse. I'll admit it...I paid $1.99 for my picture editing app. Sad, I know. But, it is the most amazing app ever and I recommend that everyone download it! (Camera+, currently $2.99 in the Apple App Store). You may also want to download Squaready (free...yay!) so your Insta pictures can have nice white boarders...ok done with that. Oh, and every BWG understands the struggle of coming up with an Instagram caption for their picture...it has to be clever. How else are you going to stack likes? 

Another symptom is the love of having Starbucks in public. Does holding your grande iced coffee or tall frappuccino give you a sense of confidence? I don't know about you, but when I walk around campus holding my Starbucks, I feel as if nothing can stop me (except a long-boarder crashing into me). We live in a world where an overpriced plastic coffee cup portrays "coolness" like nothing else. I'm weirdly ok with that. 

Next comes the obvious love of all things pumpkin. Every BWG has to have everything pumpkin during the holiday season. Pumpkin Spice Lattes, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, etc. And you must go to your local pumpkin patch and take a picture surrounded by all the fall vegetables. If there's no picture, did it really happen? There's no way we can risk our 500+ followers on social media not knowing we went to a pumpkin patch during Fall... their lives wouldn't be complete. 

Another characteristic many BWGs share is the struggle for Instagram likes/ Twitter retweets. As much as NOBODY wants to admit, we get upset when our pictures don't get as many likes as we thought they would. And we all have that magic "keep or delete" number. Your like-to-minute ratio must always be on par. If you know me, you know my obsession with Twitter is #nojoke. I take my tweets very seriously and I do sometimes get sad when I don't get RTs (retweets) on a tweet I thought was worthy of them. As sad as that it, it's all a part of BWGS. 

How many of you own an entire Nike workout wardrobe? How many of you actually work out? That's what I thought. Although many of us do take the time to go to the gym, plenty of the BWGs out there just wear nike to look cute. Nike Free Runs are also a must for every day activities; not actual running. I'm currently wearing Nike Pro Combat shorts, guess where I'm going later? Chipotle, not the gym (stressful week, I'll be back on track next week). Speaking of Chipotle, that leads me to the next symptom: unexplainable Chipotle obsession. 

Even though we've all tasted authentic, delicious Mexican food (especially those of us from Miami), Chipotle never seems to disappoint. Those of you who have Vine accounts have probably seen the famous little boy imitating BWGs all over by saying, "I love Chipotle, Chipotle's my liiife." I don't even know how this became part of the syndrome, but it has. If your Chipotle obsession has led you to uploading a picture of your burrito onto Twitter, congrats, you're a BWG. 

The list of Basic White Girl symptoms goes on and on, and I'd be here forever listing them all. If you think of any good ones, feel free to message me and I'll add them to my list! Don't be ashamed of your inner Basic White Girl; embrace it! Boys, I'm talking to you too. Maybe don't express it as much as your female peers, but it's ok for everyone to have a little bit of BWG in them. Who knows when this epidemic (there I go exaggerating again) will end? As for now, I'm going to live each day as the Basic White Girl I am loud and proud. 

Xoxo (my basic way of closing this post),

NG

P.S. If you find yourself suffering from FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) and constantly quoting Mean Girls, there's no escaping BWGS. 





No comments:

Post a Comment