Wednesday, February 25, 2015

A Letter To Girls Who've Always Been Single

Dear whoever you may be,

Coming from someone who has managed to be alive for 19 years with nothing but silly middle school relationships, I can assure you that you are not alone. I can also assure you that one day, you will find that person you are meant to be with. Whether it's in a few weeks while on your spring break (woo-hoo!) adventures, or whether it's in a few years when you graduate and finally land your dream job. There won't ever be a perfect time, it'll just be perfect for you when it happens.

In the meantime, brush off your old relatives when they're constantly harassing you with the "Where's your boyfriend?" questions. If you're like me (the only single person in the family, or at least I was for a while), I understand that sometimes it can get annoying.When you're having family dinners and you're the only one without a significant other there. It gets to you eventually. But it really shouldn't. It just so happens that the right person hasn't crossed our path, and that's totally ok.

I'm sure you also get told "You're too picky!" way too often. It drives me crazy when people say that as a bad thing. Why should I settle for something that isn't what I want? I'm not about to waste my time and energy with someone just to say I have a boyfriend. It's not worth it. Just because someone is cute doesn't mean I should date them, and just because someone's smart doesn't mean I should date them. I should date someone when I feel they're the right person. I'm not going to just have a boyfriend to join the oh-so-sought after Relationship Club.

One last thing to all the girls who have never had a boyfriend: Don't think there's something wrong with you. Don't think you aren't enough for who you think your "dream" boy is. You are enough and you always will be. Just because the lame boys around you right now don't see that, doesn't mean the right guy eventually won't. Sure, we all have those days where we're pinning wedding dresses and themes on our Pintrest board, wondering if we'll ever get married; trust me, we will. There's no need to get sad about that now. We're only 19; we have our entire lives ahead of us! Stop trying to plan out your life, and just live it. As soon as we start doing that, the sooner everything will fall into place.

Yours truly- single & proud,

NG

P.S. Plus side? You can dance as hard as you want when Single Ladies by Beyonce plays. #Winning


No comments:

Post a Comment