Friday, September 26, 2014

Netflix or Sleep: The Daily Struggle

Never in my life have I been the type to stay up late on school nights. The thought of not getting enough sleep and having to wake up early the next day has always stressed me out. I'm not sure what has gotten into me the past couple of weeks. Do I think I'm cool for staying up until four in the morning a few times a week? Do I have undiagnosed insomnia? So many questions, so little time. I can't be the only student experiencing this.

What's so fun about going to sleep late anyway? We tend to think our bodies are invincible, but we sure do find out otherwise when we hear our alarms ringing, signaling the new day ahead of us. Sure, going to sleep late every once in a while is not a problem. If it starts becoming a habit, though, I'm sure it will lead to some trouble (sleep depreivation... not fun). 

I know what a lot of you are thinking: "I have to stay up late. It's the only time I can watch Netflix." And let's face it: Netflix does keep a lot of us sane. For some, that statement may be true. Maybe you work and you don't have other time during the day between work and school. But I know that's not the case for the majority of us. This is how the story goes: we get home from class, do something other than homework (in my case it's a nap or the gym...or both), do our homework while iMessaging our friends and constantly refreshing Twitter and Instagram, eat dinner, and then it's Netflix time. And for those of you in the Netflix craze, you know it's impossible to only watch one episode. Then here we are, 4 a.m., wondering where the night went. 

I'm not sure what the solution to this is. Do we give up Netflix? Do we suck it up the next morning when the bags under our eyes are too big for sunglasses to cover? That may be a personal choice. Maybe some of us will be able to find a happy medium. That would be ideal. I guess for now we can try to minimize the number of days we binge watch Netflix and try to get more sleep. 

See you soon,

NG



P.S. Have any of you self-diagnosed yourselves with mild Narcolepsy? I feel like I'm constantly sleeping or in need of sleep... my roommates would agree. Then again, it may be sleep deprivation due to late night Netflix... 

No comments:

Post a Comment