Thursday, June 16, 2016

Before It's Too Late

I'd like to start this post by giving my deepest condolences to all of the Orlando victims and their families during this hard time. So many tragedies have occurred in a city that has been my home for two years, and it breaks my heart. Seeing text messages that some victims and survivors sent their loved ones just moments before encountering the shooter made me break down into tears. I can't imagine ever being in a situation like that, and I don't think any of us ever really think it's going to be us. Some of the victims were just in town on vacation. Others were regulars. This tragedy, along with the late Christina Grimmie and the poor young child who was attacked by an alligator, all took place in a city home to the happiest place on Earth; a city to which I owe the first half of my college experience.

Times like this make us realize that we never really do know when our last day on Earth is. I know- very cliché, but it's so true. You never think anyone you love, or yourself for that matter, is going to be the victim of a terrible crime. When these things happen, we pray and send our condolences, and move on with our lives exactly the way they were. In a way, I guess that's good. We can't live in fear every day and sometimes all we can do is pray for peace.

So, I know we hear it every day, and more than once a day after something terrible happens in our country, but don't ever hold back on letting someone know you love them. It's silly, I get it. We hear it all the time, but I can't stress how important this is. Whether it's your mom, your best friend, or your partner- stop right now to give them a call and tell them you love them. I'm sure they know, but remind them. Remind your grandparents, your parents, and your siblings. Your boyfriend, your girlfriend, and honestly, drink half a bottle of wine and shoot your ex a text and let them know. Unless they suck. Then don't.



We're human. We crave affection and want to be loved by others. We live in a dangerous world, and I sometimes wish I was blinded from all the terrible things going on in our society.  I'll never forget not being allowed to watch the news when I was a little girl because my mom thought it was too scary for my sister and I. With all this being said, please please please don't hold back on telling people how you feel. Tell someone when they make you smile, and tell someone when they ticked you off so you can work things out. There isn't time to hold grudges in a world that can unfortunately take away the ones we love in the blink of an eye.

Love always,

NG


Below is a list of all the victims of the Pulse Nightclub shooting. Take a moment today to read through this list, and say a quick prayer to whoever watches over you up there. Or just take a moment of silence if you don't believe in any of that. The world lost 49 beautiful souls. Rest in peace:

Stanley Almodovar III, Amanda Alvear, Oscar A Aracena-Montero, Rodolfo Ayala-Ayala, Antonio Davon Brown, Darryl Roman Burt II, Angel L. Candelario-Padro, Juan Chevez-Martinez, Luis Daniel Conde, Cory James Connell, Tevin Eugene Crosby, Deonka Deidra Drayton, Simon Adrian Carrillo Fernandez, Leroy Valentin Fernandez, Mercedez Marisol Flores, Peter O. Gonzalez-Cruz, Juan Ramon Guerrero, Paul Terrell Henry, Frank Hernandez, Miguel Angel Honorato, Javier Jorge-Reyes, Jason Benjamin Josaphat, Eddie Jamoldroy Justice, Anthony Luis Laureanodisla, Christopher Andrew Leinonen, Alejandro Barrios Martinez, Brenda Lee Marquez McCool, Gilberto Ramon Silva Menendez, Kimberly Morris, Akyra Monet Murray, Luis Omar Ocasio-Capo, Geraldo A. Ortiz-Jimenez, Eric Ivan Ortiz-Rivera, Joel Rayon Paniagua, Jean Carlos Mendez Perez, Enrique L. Rios, Jr., Jean C. Nives Rodriguez, Xavier Emmanuel Serrano Rosado, Christopher Joseph Sanfeliz, Yilmary Rodriguez Solivan, Edward Sotomayor Jr., Shane Evan Tomlinson, Martin Benitez Torres, Jonathan Antonio Camuy Vega, Juan P. Rivera Velazquez, Luis S. Vielma, Franky Jimmy Dejesus Velazquez, Luis Daniel Wilson-Leon, Jerald Arthur Wright.


1 comment: