Monday, February 29, 2016

There Are Two Sides To Every Green Juice

My generation amuses me greatly. As a borderline (I say borderline because my friends and I just turned 20, but I think we identify more with Millennials than our younger counterparts) Millennial, I encounter so many different opinions on life every day. They range from Trump supporters (gag), Bernie supporters (not feelin' the "bern"), people who refuse to wear deodorant, and people who I went to high school with that are having kids (I can't sustain the life of a few flowers, how do you do it?).

My favorite idea, though, is the new phase of "going green." Yes, I am a strong supporter for eating organic and non-GMO, but I think it's funny seeing Millennials preaching about their healthy, yoga filled, infused water bottle life on social media, and then downing a bottle of Grey Goose every Friday and Saturday night. We refuse to drink soda with our kale salad for lunch, but it's no big deal to have a vodka sprite or a few Corona's on our weekends downtown. Why? I'm not saying I'm not guilty of any of this, but I do wonder what makes this acceptable. I am a victim of drinking green juices during the week, but you can catch me with a Stella Artois in my hand at happy hour. I won't eat McDonald's for lunch on a Tuesday, but I'll eat half a Papa Johns large pizza after a night out. We're all victim to this double life, but why? Does the healthy weekly lifestyle balance out the toxins we ingest on the weekend? I sadly don't think it works that way, as much as I'd like to think it does. Our generation refuses to order a coke with their dinner, yet single handedly drinks their own bottle of champagne while out on the town. I'm not ridiculing, I just find it amusing. We try to convince people to eat organic and non-GMO foods, but what we decide to do on the weekends suddenly doesn't apply to that rule.

I think social media plays a huge role in this funny hypocrisy that we've all grown to love. Take me, for example. I posted a picture of my delicious fruit bowl, but didn't include the slice of pizza I ate a few hours before. Everyone wants to appear "trendy" online and wants everyone to know about their Saturday morning yoga class *namaste*, but not about their Sunday morning struggle to reach the Gatorade bottle on their night stand after a fun night. This just further proves my point that people only post what they want you to see. Social media is not real, nor will it ever be.



The next time you're feeling down because Jenny posted a picture of her avocado toast on wheat bread, just know she probably had chocolate chip pancakes on the side. Continue your healthy habits; they aren't detrimental to you at all. Always choose brown foods over white foods, and make sure you eat enough fruits and vegetables. Just don't try to be something you're not. And yes, the majority of the time, there really are two sides to every green juice snap chat your bff sends you.

Your favorite quinoa (and extra-cheese pizza) loving writer,

NG

No comments:

Post a Comment