Friday, July 11, 2014

From 10 to 3

I came across an eCard a few days ago that said, "Remember: People only rain on your parade because they are jealous of your sun and tired of their shade." Although I've heard that saying before, I really noticed the accuracy in it this week. Many friends and family began complimenting me on this blog that I started, but of course, the first thing some people did was make fun of me. Not surprisingly, it was girls who I used to call "friends." I've never understood why some people allow their insecurities to take over them. Making fun of people just to feel better about yourself ultimately leaves you with a bigger hole. Why rain on someone's parade?

I have begun to discover who my real friends are, and I couldn't be happier. I'm not sad that I'm losing friends. The fact that they're being "lost" means they were never there to begin with.  True "friends" don't make fun of you for something you're passionate about, which is why I am not sad that my circle of friends has been cut from about 10 to 3.

Actually, it may have been a blessing in disguise. Knowing who my true friends are after four years, I now have a better judge of character and will hopefully be able to make good friends throughout my journey in college. Friends are supposed to support you and encourage you to do well, not tear you down. I encourage all of you to eliminate those who do not care or support you in what you love to do from your lives. It will only drag you down and keep you from reaching your dreams. When you begin school, search for people like you, people who have a passion and are not afraid to express it with the fear of being judged or ridiculed. Find those girls, or boys, who bring out the best in you. I couldn't be more excited to find new friends to spend the next couple of years with.

And one last, important thing: do not forget about the friends you have back at home, who have stuck by you through it all. You may be a couple hundred miles away, but true friendship overcomes those things. Continue supporting your friends, whether it's through monthly visits or daily FaceTime chats.

T-minus 30 days until I leave for school; let the excitement begin!


NG

No comments:

Post a Comment